Torchwood - some of my Doctor Who forum posts

Here is a cross section of some of the comments I have posted in the Doctor Who forum relating to the final three episodes of Torchwood season two.

Adrift: Enjoyed that episode- seemed to highlight to me that being the leader of Torchwood is fraught with difficult decisions. I liked the ending: not everything in life can be resolved happily.

I think the episode was highlighting that sometimes there are no easy answers and being a leader in an organisation such as Torchwood is littered with tough decisions to make. I don't think the answer to what the right course of action to take on this issue is an easy one: parents need to know what happens to their children when they disappear but sometimes the knowledge of what happened could be soul destroying. Seriously I think that is a tough call to make. Interestingly, I watched an old episode of X files the night before when a serial killer suggests that he killed Mulder's sister. When they tell another victim's father what happened to her the script writers had the character react in the same way as Jonah's mother. Perhaps this would be part of the grieving process? I hope I never find out in real life.

Another good episode in my opinion. Enjoyed the backstories of all the characters. Personally, I found Tosh's story the most intriguing: a side of UNIT we are going to see in the Sontaran episodes? Perhaps? Wasn't too surprosed to see Captain John behind the explosion- the biggest shock for me was finding out I am going to have to wait two weeks for the finale. I howled like Jonah!
I thought the portrayal of unit in this episode was foreshadowing the edginess the Doctor's relationship with the organisation in the upcoming Doctor Who series: An organisation that rigourously defends it aims no matter what the cost.

Exit wounds: The last ten minutes were superb. I did have some problems with the episode: Gray- I was hardly surprised when it turned out he had a burning hatred for his brother and I did find the acting somewhat flat; I didn't really feel that tense until Owen was in the reactor. I was also annoyed by the depiction of Cardiff 2000 years ago- it looked like a park- couldn't they have tried to put some sort of CGI or some sort of special effect to make the place look more wild? I know it's a little thing and a gripe probably of Ming Mong proportions but sometimes it is the little things that can bug! Having said that overall, I enjoyed the episode and the last ten minutes were really emotional- I was fighting back the tears- which in my books is a sign of a good drama if I can emotionally respond to the plight of one or more of the central characters. I think this episode sums up Torchwood- daft in places and bloody outstanding in places- hope it continues.

BTW with all this talk of season 3- Am I to assume that it has been officially announced that there is to be a third season or is this just wishful thinking? Personally, I wouldn't mind a set of specials next year: two parters and some genuine ghost activity rather than aliens through the void- supernatural tales. I would also like to see a past Torchwood story set in Edwardian Cardiff. I wonder what the producers will come up with next?

Overall the format works for me. Yes there are duff episodes and sometimes the characterisation and dialogue may be inconsistent- Owen seems a different person at times in season Two- was this a reaction to outside criticism or an attempt at a character arc- if it were a character arc what was the defining moment which led to his character's transformation? Still niggles beside, I'm a fan and hope there will be seasons to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloverfield- a marmite film for my family.

Dead or Alive!

My initial thoughts on partners in crime as posted on various sites