The inner psyche.

I have no idea whether it is correct to apply the above title to the workings of the subconscious but what the heck- it sounds good! Why have I started off with such a title? Well because I'm basically trying to work out the inner workings of the character Alex's , protagonist of Ashes to ashes, mind. In this episode she falls out with her mother- a subconscious resentment of her mother's relentless career progression? (Is that remark I've just made an unfair one in which women are supposed to feel guilty for pursuing careers as well as being mothers?) Is her anger directed at the fact her mother died when she was young? Who says the mind is rational? What do we make of her the elevator scene? Is this all going to be the dying thoughts of Alex or the thoughts of someone who is fighting to survive? Will the production team try to make a twist where all this turns out to be an alternative reality. Probably best if it doesn't. If my memory serves me correct the idea behind Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes predecessor, was to create an environment where they could run a Sweeney Style Police show. Trying to create a Sci-fi twist would definitely ruin it.
So as a police show does it work? Well yes there is enough there to generate interest- a who is responsible for the bombing campaign sub plot worked for me. There was an interesting twist towards the end: her warning of the horrors to come in the form of suicide bombers inspires rather than horrifies the young bomber. Can knowledge of the future have serious consequences for the present? Of course we are constantly reminded that this is all just going on in Alex's mind!
What of Gene? well he still impresses and provides enough irreverent humour to keep my wife and I laughing. This is not the greatest drama ever but still packs enough in to entertain. Now I am off to find out what others make of the show!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloverfield- a marmite film for my family.

Dead or Alive!

My initial thoughts on partners in crime as posted on various sites