Torchwood

Rhys returns in this episode. Initially, I found the premise of this story rather dubious: the boyfriend of an operative in an alleged secret organisation helps the organisation out! Mind you I had forgotten, ironically enough, about the retcon drug. This particular plot device has its uses and provided an interesting emotional and moral dilemma for Gwen at the end of the episode: does she wipe her fiance's memory or not. The resolution elicits an interesting response from Jack. I must confess, I was unaware he had such strong feelings for her and felt as if this did come somewhat out of the blue.
Mind you one of the reasons why I am enjoying season two more than season one, is that the characters do appear to be more likeable. I can remember reading somewhere that the producers of Torchwood were brave in creating characters who were unlikeable. However, I have to disagree: I prefer being able to create some sort of empathy with the characters. Don't get me wrong: I like anti-hero characters its just that there were times in the first season that I felt as if the characters all needed a slap. In this episode, I liked Jack's stance on the alien- it was a very Doctorish reaction and one I felt suited Jack. I agree with some of the posters on the Doctor Who forum that there are times when he shows a disregard to life which differentiates him from the Doctor but I did find myself relieved that there are times when he shows that he does have a regard for life- after all he is supposed to be one of the good guys!
All in all an enjoyable watchable episode- Torchwood continues to impress this season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloverfield- a marmite film for my family.

Dead or Alive!

My initial thoughts on partners in crime as posted on various sites