Adam, Martha and a surprise.

You know for someone who is addicted to spoilers I was surprised last night.
Well things started off in a manner I am accustomed to: My wife and Step-son asking me, very politely, not to spoil anything from the episode. Admittedly, I didn't know too much but I had seen the flashbacks to the Boeshane peninsula photos on a spoiler thread some months ago and I had also surmised by a poster on a forum that the character, Adam, would be someone who was capable of manipulating memories. I surmised this mainly due to the fact that the poster was complaining that the plot of the episode was too similar to Border Princes, one of the tie in Torchwood books. I admit there were one or two similarities between the two texts but there were enough differences to keep me intrigued. I enjoyed the scenes between Rhys and Gwen when she had no memory of him: this was an interesting and slightly disturbing premise- how would one react to this in real life? Quite powerful stuff! I am still not convinced by the attraction between Gwen and Jack and I wished the creative team would quietly drop this particular strand although I do suspect that there will be a significant plot development along this particular theme later on in the series so, I am going to have to lump it!
First shock of the evening: The BBC 2 announcer informing us that the following episode of Torchwood was being broadcast over on BBC3 straightaway. Rather excitedly, my step son fumbled with the remote to turn over straight away. Wow what could I say? Martha a week earlier than I expected! I enjoyed the scenes with Martha and her interactions with the team. I have read some criticisms that the character didn’t fit in. Personally, I am baffled by this as I thought the opposite- I thought her conversations with Owen and Gwen were quite believable. Moreover, Owen and Gwen’s responses seemed to indicate that the character was accepted quite regularly into the team. O enjoyed the references to Doctor Who and found the story gripping enough although my wife was annoyed that a supposedly experienced member of UNIT was trying to wander surreptitiously around the corridors of a potentially dangerous organisation in high heels! As for the ending- well that was the second surprise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloverfield- a marmite film for my family.

Dead or Alive!

My initial thoughts on partners in crime as posted on various sites